Sunday, July 29, 2018

Review of the Kreycik Elk and Buffalo Tours of Niobrara Nebraska

I found the Kreycik Elk and Buffalo Tours very interesting.  Having grown up on a ranch, I experienced a time when my Uncle tried raising beefalo (A cross between a bison and a cow).  The Bison could pretty much jump any fence, so my uncle had to discontinue the experiment because he spent all his time traveling around the country trying to round up his two bison bulls. Visiting the Kreycik ranch added to my knowledge of both elk and bison.

The Kreycik's confirmed that bison can jump any fence that they can get there nose over.  They do it from a standing jump with no run or warning.  Also they informed us that we could feed them but you shouldn't try and touch their head as they would attack the bus (which was good to know). Also, I was reminded that they were bison and not buffalo; a fact that I often forget.

The Krecik Ranch also raises elk which they sell for meat and for hunting, but they get most of their money from selling the elk antler velvet which cures most diseases and discomforts including high blood pressure and sexual disfunction.  The more interesting part of the story was the information on trophy hunting.  Although the Kreycik family no longer does outfitting, they used to and were able to provide insight on the sport.

Evidently they raise the elk bucks in one place but then they bring them to a hunting pasture for the kill.  Since the pasture is smallish and the animals are farm raised there isn't much danger in not finding an elk.  In fact one hunter had never fired a gun before and had to be shown how to load and shoot before he was able to kill his elk. Another hunter showed up with only one bullet.  I admire his confidence but what would have happened if he had wounded the elk? I suppose someone would have had to go find another bullet? The more interesting fact was that since these elk were farm raised and possibly not as wild as they should be; there was a real danger that they might chase you up a tree- a situation that happened on more than one occasion.  It is interesting because I have spent a lot of time out in the wilderness and I have seen my share of elk. Nevertheless, I have never been chased up a tree by one.  Guess I haven't been in the right place?

No comments:

Post a Comment