Sunday, February 20, 2011

February 21, 2011

At a quarter three o’clock in the morning I received a call from Judith, pack a bag and get ready to stay at the school. Cell phones evidently were out most of the night and our director had not been able to contact us. As soon as the phones went on she called us. She didn’t wake me up. I hadn’t been able to sleep. I don’t know if was excitement or the allergy medicine I had taken earlier. I lay awake in bed most of the night. We had a meeting at the elementary Principal’s house earlier that day. She assured us everything looked fine and that we would be having class the next day. She urged us to remember that it would be pajama day and to dress appropriately.
Just as no one expected things to escalate in Tunis, we are also very surprised by the events taking place last night in Tripoli. Earlier this month, I had talked with a booking agent and had made plans to go to Morocco and then to Tunis for our April Spring break. Then Tunis fell apart and we cancelled our vacation. Instead we planned to visit Egypt. Well, Egypt erupted in civil turmoil and that trip was cancelled. Well now for Presidents day weekend we decided to stay in Tripoli. Protests in Bengasi and people being shot. What is next? Now everyone asks us where we are going on vacation so they can plan to stay somewhere else.

Tripoli seemed to be making so much progress. Yes the president is very unpredictable, but Tripoli has lots of oil money and the infrastructure has been improving. Everyone tells me how much better things have gotten in the last few years. Nevertheless, some Libyans evidently have not been happy. The surprising thing is that these protests continue to grow even after the deaths; People shot and beat and yet they return to protest- Most not even armed; Putting themselves and their families at risk. Something amazing is happening in Africa and the Middle East. It is frightening yet exhilarating.

At three o’clock the phone rang again. Our director was not able to get the neighbors on the phone. She asked if I could go and tell them to pack a bag. As I returned I looked at the full moon. It was circled by a huge white ring; surely a sign - A sign of what I will have to wait and see.
We pack in a hurry. Even though I had put together a small suitcase the day before, the real thing has me reevaluating what I packed. Do I need to bring more? Between packing, I go to the computer and record my thoughts.  As we prepare to evacuate you may wonder: Am I worried? No just excited and a little concerned. I am hardly ever worried, just concerned. My cousin once told me he had never been lost, just confused for a few days or so…  So I guess I’m not worried, just concerned... I told Bruce, my friend, yesterday, that I am so glad to be here. In a place where history is being made. To experience first had the excitement of a new thing, something different. I ask myself, with my family here, my six year old daughter, my worried wife, am I still glad to be here. The answer is still yes; but I am reevaluating every minute…
I am sure most revolutions must evolve similarly, everyone asking is this really happening.? Will it continue? Is it as serious as it seems? Is it more serious than it seems?
We may be evacuated. If the school closes we only receive three months salary. That has me concerned. We could go through our savings quickly not doing anything, stuck in an expensive location. Hopefully we will just take our spring vacation early and be back to work soon. I am sure we will have even smaller classes when we return. Many of these companies probably won’t risk bringing families back if they think they may have to evacuate again. All this is just speculation as we prepare our suitcases and prepare for another day of teaching in Tripoli.
From yesterday's casual meeting at the Principal’s home where we were told everything is fine until this morning. One call at 2:45, another at 3:00 telling us to pack just in case and be ready to stay at the school to another call at 4:00 pm telling us to caravan to work and to be there at 7:30 for a meeting. Seems things may be heating up?

No comments:

Post a Comment